Protein is an essential nutrient for building and repairing muscle, supporting weight loss and improving overall health. However, not all protein sources are equal, especially regarding calorie content.
A protein supplement can be an excellent option for those watching their calorie intake. In this article, we’ve rounded up the best low-calorie protein powders of 2024 based on dietitians’ recommendations.
Best Protein Powder Low Calorie In 2024
- Transparent Labs Protein Powder – Editor’s Choice
- Future Kind Vegan Chocolate Protein Powder – Best Vegan Low-Calorie Protein Powder
- Naked Nutrition Whey 100% Grass-Fed Protein – Best Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powder
- Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey – Best Low-carb Hydrolyzed Whey Isolate
- MyProtein Impact Whey Isolate – Best Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate Powder
How Does Low-Calorie Protein Powder Help With Weight Loss?
Low-calorie protein supplement powders can support weight loss in several ways:
- First, protein is known to be more filling than other macronutrients, which can help curb appetite and reduce overall calorie consumption.
- Protein helps preserve lean muscle mass while promoting fat loss, which is crucial for weight loss.
- Adding protein powder to meals or snacks can increase protein in your diet without adding extra calories, making it easier to stick to a calorie-controlled diet and lose weight faster.
- Reduces overall calorie intake: Protein powder is often lower in calories than other foods high in protein, such as meat or cheese. By replacing higher-calorie foods with protein powder, overall calorie intake can be reduced, which can lead to weight loss.
- Convenient and easy to track: Protein powder is a convenient way to increase protein intake without the added calories or preparation time of other protein-rich foods. It’s also easy to track the number of calories and protein grams consumed, which can help with weight loss goals.
Best Low-Calorie Protein Powder In 2024
- Made from 100% grass-fed whey protein isolate
- Contains 25 grams of protein per serving
- No added hormones, antibiotics, or artificial ingredients
- Not suitable for those with lactose intolerance
- More expensive than some other options on the market
Transparent Labs Protein Powder is a premium protein supplement made exclusively from 100% grass-fed whey protein isolate, which is low in calories but high in quality. With 25 grams of protein per serving, it is an ideal choice for people who want to increase their protein intake while keeping their calorie intake in check.
This powder is completely free of hormones, antibiotics, and artificial additives, making it a healthy and natural alternative. However, it is important to note that it contains lactose, which may be problematic for those who are lactose intolerant.
Although it may be more expensive than other protein powders on the market, Transparent Labs Protein Powder is a superior choice for anyone seeking to achieve their fitness objectives.
Future Kind Vegan Chocolate Protein Powder
- Contains 20 grams of protein per serving
- No artificial ingredients or preservatives
- May not be suitable for individuals
- The protein content per serving is lower than some other protein powders
Future Kind Vegan Chocolate Protein Powder is an excellent choice for those following a vegan diet and looking for a low-calorie protein powder. This powder is made from vegetable pea protein isolate and organic brown rice protein and contains no artificial ingredients or preservatives. Each serving of this plant protein powder contains 20 grams of protein.
Not everyone loves the taste of plant-based protein powder. The chocolate flavor helps mask the taste of these plant proteins. Still, some users have reported a less desirable taste than whey. Additionally, pea protein powders may not be as easily digestible as whey protein concentrate, so you want to increase your serving size gradually and pay attention to how your gut feels.
Future Kind Vegan Chocolate Protein Powder is an excellent option for those seeking a plant-based protein shake or protein supplements. It is a perfect addition to your diet, whether you want to build muscle mass or lose weight.
Naked Nutrition Whey 100% Grass-Fed Protein
- Made from 100% grass-fed whey
- Contains 24 grams of protein per serving
- No artificial ingredients or preservatives
- Some users have reported a less desirable taste compared to other whey protein powders
- The protein content per serving is lower than some other whey protein powders
Naked Nutrition Whey 100% Grass-Fed Protein is made from high-quality, grass-fed whey, making it a healthier and more sustainable option than protein powders made from conventional dairy sources. In addition, the product is free from artificial ingredients and preservatives, making it a good choice for health-conscious people.
Each serving contains 24 grams of protein, making it a convenient way to supplement protein. However, some users have reported a less desirable taste than other whey protein powders. Still, the quality of the product makes it a solid choice for those looking for a high-quality, grass-fed whey protein powder.
Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey
- Made from hydrolyzed whey protein isolate
- Contains 30 grams of protein per serving
- Fast-absorbing and easily digestible
- More expensive
- Some users have reported a less desirable taste
Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey is made from hydrolyzed pure whey protein isolate, making it a fast-absorbing and easily digestible option for those looking to consume more protein. Each serving contains 30 grams of protein, making it convenient to meet your daily protein needs.
Some users have reported a less desirable taste than other whey protein powders. Still, the product’s benefits make it a worthwhile investment for those looking for a fast-absorbing, easily digestible whey protein powder.
The product may be more expensive than other whey protein powders. Still, the high quality of the product makes it a solid choice for those looking for a low-carb hydrolyzed whey concentrate.
- Made from pure whey
- Offers a complete profile of amino acids for optimal muscle recovery and growth
- 90% protein content, with 0g fat and less than 2g of carbs
- May cause digestive discomfort or bloating in some individuals, especially
- May not be suitable for vegans or vegetarians
- Some users have reported that the product is not as effective
Impact Whey Isolate from MyProtein is an excellent low-calorie protein powder that aids muscle growth and recovery. It contains 22 grams of pure whey per serving, which is among the highest-quality protein sources available. The powder also contains branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) that support muscle repair and growth. It is easily mixed with water or milk, has a creamy texture, and contains high-quality ingredients. Although it may be more expensive than other brands, its clean label and effectiveness in aiding fat loss and toning make it a top choice.
How To Use Low-Calorie Protein Powder To Lose Weight?
To use low-calorie protein powder for weight loss, start incorporating it into meals or snacks. For example, add a scoop to your smoothie, oatmeal, or yogurt for an extra protein boost. It’s also a good idea to track your protein intake to ensure you’re meeting your daily needs. Additionally, incorporate other healthy habits such as regular exercise and a balanced diet to maximize weight loss results.
Who Should Use Low-Calorie Protein Powder?
Low-calorie protein powder is perfect for individuals who monitor their calorie intake for either weight loss or maintaining a balanced diet. For those who have trouble meeting their protein requirements through food alone, it is also a practical choice. In addition, low-calorie protein powder can aid athletes, bodybuilders, and fitness enthusiasts in promoting muscle growth and recovery.
How To Choose The Best Low-Calorie Protein Powder?
When choosing a protein powder, consider the following factors:
Type Of Protein
Look for powders from high-quality protein sources, such as whey, casein protein powder, or pea protein. Different types of protein have various nutritional benefits. For example, whey protein is made from cow’s milk and is a by-product of cheese production. It is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids. Casein protein is also made from cow’s milk and is a slow-digesting protein that helps to keep you feeling full for longer. Finally, pea protein is a great vegan option, as it is made from yellow split peas and is rich in essential amino acids.
Check the calorie content per serving and choose a powder low in calories. The powder’s calorie content should also be considered, as it will affect your overall daily caloric intake. Choosing a low-calorie powder means using it as part of a balanced diet without worrying about consuming too many calories. It also ensures that you don’t have to consume more calories than you need to get the powder’s nutritional benefits.
Look for protein powders with minimal ingredients, and avoid those with added sugars, artificial sweeteners, or preservatives. Protein powders containing unnecessary fillers can harm your health and often add unnecessary calories to your diet.
Choose a powder with a flavor you enjoy to make it easier to incorporate into your diet. This is especially important because if you don’t want the flavor of the powder, you are less likely to use it in a way that will yield results. If you can’t find flavors you like, opt for the blandest taste. You can easily make it more appealing by adding frozen berries, monk fruit extract, peanut butter, or yogurt.
Consider the macronutrient profile of the powder to ensure it fits into your overall diet. This may mean evaluating your daily protein, carbohydrate, and fat content goals. This is important because the macronutrient profile of the powder will determine how it impacts your overall nutrition and energy levels.
For example, if you are trying to shed fat, you may want to look for a powder that has a lower amount of carbohydrates and a higher amount of protein. You can also see if your protein shake can be considered a meal replacement. If not, find out what you’d need to add to it to make it so.
Consider Dietary Restrictions
If you have dietary restrictions, such as lactose intolerance or a gluten allergy, look for protein powders that are specifically designed to accommodate these restrictions.
Consult With A Healthcare Professional
If you have any health concerns or questions about which protein powder is best for you, consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian who can provide personalized advice based on your individual needs and goals.
Low-calorie protein powder can be a convenient and effective way to increase protein intake and support body weight loss. When choosing a protein powder, consider the type of protein, calorie content, ingredients, taste, research invested in that product, and nutritional content to select the best one for your needs. Remember, calorie protein powder should be used with a healthy diet and regular exercise for maximum benefits. Finding the best low-calorie protein powder for you can be a fun adventure with so many options available.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Protein powder can be good for weight loss, particularly whey protein, as it promotes feelings of fullness and supports muscle growth, which is important for maintaining a healthy metabolism. However, a balanced diet and exercise are also crucial for sustainable weight loss.
Taking protein powder can be helpful for weight loss, as it promotes fullness and supports muscle growth. However, it should not be relied upon as the sole solution for weight loss and a balanced diet and exercise are also necessary for sustainable weight loss.
To get more protein without consuming too many calories, consider adding low-calorie, high-protein foods to your diet, such as lean meats, fish, tofu, tempeh, eggs, Greek yogurt, and legumes. Additionally, protein powder can be a low-calorie option to boost protein intake.
Protein powder can be safe for weight loss when used as directed and in moderation. However, it’s important to choose a high-quality protein powder and to make sure it fits into a balanced diet and exercise routine. Consulting with a healthcare professional can also help ensure the safe and effective use of protein powder for weight loss.