(Compiled by the EHP Information Center, December 11, 2003)
This annotated bibliography contains citations and abstracts of 33 studies published in 2003 that focus on diarrheal diseases and water/sanitation.
- Akter N, Hussain Z, Trankler J, Parkpian P. Hospital waste management and it’s probable health effect: a lesson learned from Bangladesh. Indian J Environ Health. 2002 Apr;44(2):124-37.
- Bajracharya D. Myanmar experiences in sanitation and hygiene promotion: lessons learned and future directions. Int J Environ Health Res. 2003 Jun;13 Suppl 1:S141-52.
- Brooks JT, Shapiro RL, Kumar L, et al. Epidemiology of sporadic bloody diarrhea in rural Western Kenya. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2003 Jun;68(6):671-7.
- Curtis V, Cairncross S. Effect of washing hands with soap on diarrhoea risk in the community: a systematic review. Lancet Infect Dis. 2003 May;3(5):275-81.
- Curtis V, Biran A, Deverell K, Hughes C, Bellamy K, Drasar B. Hygiene in the home: relating bugs and behaviour. Soc Sci Med. 2003 Aug;57(4):657-72.
- Curtis V. Talking dirty: how to save a million lives. Int J Environ Health Res. 2003 Jun;13 Suppl 1:S73-9.
- Deodhar NS. Epidemiological perspective of domestic and personal hygiene in India. Int J Environ Health Res. 2003 Jun;13 Suppl 1:S47-56.
- Faulkner CT, Garcia BB, Logan MH, et al. Prevalence of endoparasitic infection in children and its relation with cholera prevention efforts in Mexico. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2003 Jul;14(1):31-41.
- Guerrant RL, Carneiro-Filho BA, Dillingham RA.Cholera, diarrhea, and oral rehydration therapy: triumph and indictment. Clin Infect Dis. 2003 Aug 1;37(3):398-405.
- Halvorson SJ. Women’s management of the household health environment: responding to childhood diarrhea in the Northern Areas, Pakistan. Health Place. 2004 Mar;10(1):43-58.
- Harvey SA, Winch PJ, Leontsini E, et al.Domestic poultry-raising practices in a Peruvian shantytown: implications forcontrol of Campylobacter jejuni-associated diarrhea. Acta Trop. 2003 Apr;86(1):41-54.
- Heller L, Colosimo EA, Antunes CM. Environmental sanitation conditions and health impact: a case-control study. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2003 Jan-Feb;36(1):41-50.
- Hoque BA. Handwashing practices and challenges in Bangladesh. Int J Environ Health Res. 2003 Jun;13 Suppl 1:S81-7.
- Hosain GM, Saha S, Begum A.Impact of sanitation and health education on intestinal parasite infection amongprimary school aged children of Sherpur, Bangladesh. Trop Doct. 2003 Jul;33(3):139-43.
- Jensen PK, Ensink JH, Jayasinghe G, et al.Effect of chlorination of drinking-water on water quality and childhooddiarrhoea in a village in Pakistan. J Health Popul Nutr. 2003 Mar;21(1):26-31.
- Kumar Karn S, Harada H. Field survey on water supply, sanitation and associated health impacts in urbanpoor communities–a case from Mumbai City, India. Water Sci Technol. 2002;46(11-12):269-75.
- Lanata CF. Studies of food hygiene and diarrhoeal disease. Int J Environ Health Res. 2003 Jun;13 Suppl 1:S175-83.
- Larsen B.Hygiene and health in developing countries: defining priorities through cost –benefit assessments. Int J Environ Health Res. 2003 Jun;13 Suppl 1:S37-46.
- Merchant AT, Jones C, Kiure A, et al. Water and sanitation associated with improved child growth. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2003 Dec;57(12):1562-8.
- Moffat T. Diarrhea, respiratory infections, protozoan gastrointestinal parasites, andchild growth in Kathmandu, Nepal. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2003 Sep;122(1):85-97.
- Moraes LR, Cancio JA, Cairncross S, Huttly S. Impact of drainage and sewerage on diarrhoea in poor urban areas in Salvador, Brazil. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2003 Mar-Apr;97(2):153-8.
- Nanan D, White F, Azam I, et al.Evaluation of a water, sanitation, and hygiene education intervention ondiarrhoea in northern Pakistan. Bull World Health Organ. 2003;81(3):160-5.
- Nath KJ.Home hygiene and environmental sanitation: a country situation analysis forIndia. Int J Environ Health Res. 2003 Jun;13 Suppl 1:S19-28.
- Nielsen M, Hoogvorst A, Konradsen F, et al. Causes of childhood diarrhea as perceived by mothers in the Punjab, Pakistan.Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2003 Jun;34(2):343-51.
- Nunez FA, Lopez JL, de la Cruz AM, Finlay CM.Risk factors for Giardia lamblia infection in children in daycare centers inHavana, Cuba. Cad Saude Publica. 2003 Mar-Apr;19(2):677-82.
- Prado MS, Strina A, Barreto ML, et al.Risk factors for infection with Giardia duodenalis in pre-school children in thecity of Salvador, Brazil. Epidemiol Infect. 2003 Oct;131(2):899-906.
- Quick R. Changing community behaviour: experience from three African countries. Int J Environ Health Res. 2003 Jun;13 Suppl 1:S115-21.
- Rego RC, Barreto ML, Killinger CL. [What is garbage, anyway? The opinions of women from an outlying neighborhood in a large Brazilian city]. Cad Saude Publica. 2002 Nov-Dec;18(6):1583-91.
- Reller ME, Mendoza CE, Lopez MB, et al. A randomized controlled trial of household-based flocculant-disinfectantdrinking water treatment for diarrhea prevention in rural Guatemala. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2003 Oct;69(4):411-9.
- Sakisaka K, Wakai S, Wongkhomthong SA.Domestic hygiene behaviour of mothers with children aged 0-5 years old in Tayabovillage, Nueva Ecija, the Philippines. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2002;14(2):91-8.
- Sobsey MD, Handzel T, Venczel L. Chlorination and safe storage of household drinking water in developingcountries to reduce waterborne disease. Water Sci Technol. 2003;47(3):221-8.
- Strina A, Cairncross S, Barreto ML, et al. Childhood diarrhea and observed hygiene behavior in Salvador, Brazil. Am J Epidemiol. 2003 Jun 1;157(11):1032-8.
- Thompson T, Sobsey M, Bartram J. Providing clean water, keeping water clean: an integrated approach. Int J Environ Health Res. 2003 Jun;13 Suppl 1:S89-94.
Tnhealth has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. We work mostly with peer-reviewed studies to ensure accurate information. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our editorial policy.